A couple weeks ago, I noticed some neighbors had put some tree limbs out by the street to be hauled away by the city. I got thinking that some of them might make some neat wood cookies. Plus, the branches were from a type of tree (Bradford Pear) that I haven’t seen on the west coast. So, with assistance, we were able to drag a couple of them home. And there they sat.
Fast forward to last night. We pulled out the chop saw and got to work cutting cookies (and creating tons of sawdust). Yes, I know the wood was still green…but, it’ll be a whole lot easier packing cookies, as compared with packing branches. So, with plenty of help, we cut a bunch of wood cookies (of all sizes). I’ve grouped them into small, medium, and large. Now, I’ve just got to find space to pack ’em all in my luggage.
Just think…of all of the name tags, ornaments, and wreaths these wood cookies can be used to make. The possibilities are nearly endless.
With the holidays just around the corner, a great deal of my time has been spent getting various projects ready to sell at a holiday craft bazaar. If you’ll recall from (about this time) last year, I jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon with my version of a rustic wood round/cookie wreath. Unfortunately, that particular version didn’t sell last year. So, the two lonely wreaths sat…just waiting for this year to roll around. After some moderate brainstorming, I was inspired to add a little greenery (we’re talking real greenery here, folks). With fresh greenery, that meant a green bow just wouldn’t do, so I decided to change the color of the bow as well. In reading various posts and trying to figured out how they actually attach the greenery, I noticed that some of the other wood cookie wreaths had used something called a craft ring as their base. After thinking about it a bit more, I figured a wider base would provide increased surface area upon which I could glue the rounds. I was able to find the craft rings I needed at Michaels and set to work dismantling all of the previous year’s hard work. I scraped and sanded off the old glue on the wood cookies and set to work re-gluing them on the wider base. For this step, I used my trusty wood glue once again. I then spent the next couple of weeks thinking about what type of greenery I would like to use AND (perhaps most importantly) where I could acquire said greenery. Conveniently, I was able to find many of the things I wanted to incorporate located all around me. I found the cedar at the base of some large trees on the edge of a McDonald’s parking lot. The holly came from trees which line the road on my way to the local Taco Bell (FYI: I asked the owner before I snipped off some twigs). The pine cones (which I didn’t use this time around) came from my very own backyard. Now, I’m not sure why I didn’t even think to add greenery last year to the wreaths last year…especially considering that I made 3 swags at nearly the exact same time. Perhaps I was just trying to keep the wreaths simple. Alas, I digress. With the wood cookies attached to the new base, I simply started laying the greenery on ’em. Add a little green floral wire to mix and you’ve got a very simple way to add so much flair to what started out as a basic wreath. As I mentioned earlier, a green bow just wouldn’t cut the mustard, so I did my best to recreate the bows from last year…this time, with the red burlap ribbon. I’m pretty certain the making of the bow was the hardest part of this whole project. For me, I found it pretty tough to get the bow to look perfect. With that being said, I was very pleased with the end result. In fact, the two wreaths I took to the bazaar were the very first items to sell. I suppose I better get started on making more for next year.