With yet another project complete, it is time for me to get started on the next one. After all, summer only lasts so long…I’ve got to take advantage of this beautiful weather while I can. Alas, I digress.
A couple of weeks ago, I acquired (for FREE on Craigslist) an awesome, vintage bookcase. It was left to its own devises while I finished the patio table. I must say, it was pretty eye-catching as it was. But, knowing me, I’ll strive to make it even more of a statement piece. The jury is still out as to what direction I want to go with the painting. I’m thinking of using one color for the inside and a different color for the outside. So, something similar to the record cabinet I finished a while back. With that being said, I have been able to get quite a bit of prep work done. This past Thursday, I got the entire piece stripped (which is never
a glamorous part of prepping any piece of furniture) and wiped down with paint thinner. I ended up taking the veneer off of the whole front surface…which
literally, ‘eh, figuratively came off like butter, so that was probably a really good move.
Next steps will include sanding the whole piece AND creating two new shelves for the inside area. I hope to pay the local ReStore a visit at some point this week to find some wood for the shelves.