With the holidays soon approaching, I figured I’d post a piece with a crafty holiday flair. Earlier this fall, I came across quite a few pieces of Big Leaf Maple wood…mainly nice-sized branches. Not knowing what I would do with them, I held onto them and let them dry for a bit. And then I came across this fabulous wreath on Pinterest. I figured I, too, could come up with some way to make something like that…with the supplies (and budget) that I have. Here is the point at which I got out the chop saw and set to work. Since I had the saw out, I cut way more wood rounds that I could possibly need. I am still blown away by how much sawdust was created during this process. Sorry, I didn’t think to take any pictures of that step. For the base of my wreath, I found two 12″ embroidery hoops at the local GoodWill Outlet (bins) and figured they’d work perfectly. I tied a little twine up at the top to create a loop from which the wreath could hang. Originally, I was going to leave the wood rounds rough…think, straight off the chop saw. But, I figured they’d probably glue better if they had a smoother surface, so I sanded all of the wood rounds I would need. This part was the definitely the most time consuming part, as the wood was still pretty ‘green’. With the sanding finally complete, I broke out my trusty wood glue and set to work gluing the first layer of rounds into place directly on the embroidery hoop. With that layer dry, I meticulously glued another layer of wood rounds onto the first layer…taking care to cover the places where the first rounds had intersected. I just loved the way that the wreath looked at this point, but figured no wreath would be complete without a bow. The wreath I was using as a model had a burlap bow, so I was off to the store to find something of the burlap variety that would work with my particular wreath. Using a 60% off coupon at JoAnn’s, I was able to purchase a great dark, olive green roll of burlap ribbon. The ribbon was too wide for my 12″ wreath, so I used pieces that had been cut in half length-wise…saving yet more resources, money, etc. With the help of this simple tutorial on YouTube, I was able to make my very own burlap bow. Using green floral wire, I attached the bow to the top of the wreath. I like the rustic simplicity of the wreath, so have yet to add cones or greenery. We’ll see how it grows on me. Now, it’s all ready for hanging and spreading some holiday cheer.